Google’s mid-range Pixel 4a is now officially available to buy as of 1 October. The UK release comes a day after Google’s special event where it announced the Pixel 5 and a 5G variant of the 4a which is due in November. the US, the standard 4a went on sale on 20 August.
The Pixel 4a is a follow up to 2019’s wildly successful Pixel 3a and 3a XL phones, which marked Google’s foray into the mid-range market, offering customers affordable alternatives to its flagship devices.
While a larger Pixel 4a XL remains unannounced, Google will release a Pixel 4a 5G on this autumn, making the handset the first midrange 5G Google phone. The 4a’s launch primes customers for the Pixel 5, which is also expected this autumn. Though the date has not yet been confirmed, it is rumoured to be 30 September.
Here we’re looking at all the questions you might have around the brand new Pixel 4a, including price and deals on contract and SIM-free.
Pixel 4a pricing – How much does the Pixel 4a cost?
The Pixel 4a costs £349/US$349 with 6GB RAM and 128GB storage. The 5G option is set to cost £499/US$499. The release date of the 5G variant is yet to be announced, but you can sign up with Google to learn more about its launch.
The 4G Pixel 4a phone will be available in colour Just Black. You can keep it looking sharp with one of these top cases.
If you want to know more about the 4a 5G version see our full coverage of release date, prices and specs.
Where to buy the Pixel 4a SIM-free
You can buy the Pixel 4a directly from Google. Other retailers offering the 4a SIM-free include:
US SIM-free offers – $50 off from BestBuy
US customers can buy the Pixel 4a directly from the Google Store.
Where to buy the Pixel 4a on contract – Best pay monthly deals
UK customers can pick up the Pixel 4a from the following carriers:
- Carphone Warehouse – Best plan: £27 per month for fully unlimited (in iD)
- EE – Best plan: 10GB data for £30 upfront, £37 per month
- iD Mobile – Plans start at £29.99 upfront, £21.99 per month for 500MB data
- Mobiles.co.uk – Best cashback plan: £22 per month, no upfront cost for 54GB data; plans start at £19 per month, £35 upfront
- O2 – Plans start at £30 upfront, £26.67 per month for 1GB data with 6 months of Disney+
- Three – Best plan: 12GB data for £29 upfront, £27 per month with 3 months YouTube Premium, Google One and Google Play Pass
- Vodafone – Cheapest plan: £34 per month, £29 upfront for 6GB data; also available on Unlimited data plans (Unlimited Lite, Unlimited and Unlimited Max)
Virgin Mobile isn’t offering any Pixel 4a deals at the moment. We will update this article if it does.
We would also recommend looking at the following phone retailers for cashback contract deals, though some offer non-cashback plans as well:
We’ll be updating this article with more deals and UK availability as soon as it becomes available, so watch this space.
US contract availability
In the US, carriers include Verizon, U.S. Cellular, and Google’s own Google Fi, which works with T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular to switch seamlessly between the strongest network in any given area.